As far as I’m concerned, every season is a good one for smut. However, the holidays, they are a-comin’ (pun intended)—so it’s not a bad time to start thinking about all the good reads you might want to gift yourself or a special someone this wintery season.
That said, I’d love to share exciting news—Foreword Literary releases Holiday Spice in early November, and my story “Office Santa” is included in the anthology!
Contracts and edits are in the works, but I will be posting an excerpt of “Office Santa” very soon. I had far too much fun writing this one, so I hope you’ll enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.
I have more thrilling news about another anthology to share beyond this, too, but for now I’m going to play the tease and leave the rest of the present unwrapping for later! 😉
In the meantime, I’d like to talk about the “Smut of the Moment” for those who are interested—or, in other words, what I’m up to and the sultry books I’m reading.
Smut of the Moment: What I’m Writing
I only recently launched this site, so I figured this post I’d share some of my behind-the-scenes endeavors. Currently, I’m wrapping up three little things before I dig my heels in for a big thing:
- Little items 1 & 2: Alison Tyler has another enticing BDSM submission call out, and naturally I cannot resist. Her submission calls have literally become my kryptonite (or perhaps I should say crack) since I can’t ever write just one piece. This time, I’ve settled on two—a BDSM threesome and a D/S twosome. Both are in the editing stages and will be submitted shortly. Cross your fingers for me!
- Little item 3: I have a side project I put in a drawer six months ago. It’s been banging around making a lot of noise for me to finish it while I’ve been busy churning out short stories, so I’ve decided to give it a final edit and send it out into the world. That way, I can move along to…
- The BIGGIE: I think I’m ready to write my first erotica novel, folks. Really. It’s time. I have all sorts of plans and have been jotting down notes between shorts over the last few months, and with the timing of projects 1-3 above, I suspect I’ll be ready to start mid-to-late November. I’ll probably miss NaNo, but my early Christmas present to myself is to get the table cleared for this novel. I’m excited!
Smut of the Moment: What I’m Reading
This is where I introduce you to the squealing fangirl inside me. If you follow me on Twitter, you may have already picked up on my general state of enthusiasm—it’s on high most of the time—but get me talking about some of the amazing smut-writers I read and I start bouncing around with a borderline hyena grin as I encourage you to read them, too!
- I just finished Bared to You by Sylvia Day last night. I didn’t think I’d be into it at first, but it ended up being delicious. I bought the sequel today and will be starting it soon.
- I’ve been reading and will continue to read The Mammoth Book of Best New Erotica 11, edited by Maxim Jakubowski. This collection is more literary, and so far I’ve been mesmerized by every piece. I liked the style so much, in fact, I submitted a couple shorts for Mr. Jakubowski’s recent call…no telling if my overseas mailing made it by the deadline, but I found a new twist to my writing and that’s inspiring for me. “What are You Wearing?” by Matt Thorne, “I Waited for You by the River of Time” by Remittance Girl, “Her First Thursday Evening” by M. Christian, and “The Amazing Marvella” by Elsie McGraw are favorites so far.
- Butterfly by Kathryn Harvey (Barbara Wood) is in my hand right this second, taunting me. I’m playing a game of eeny-meeny-miny-moe here, because I’m also staring at my Kindle and debating between this and some smaller works:
- Those Girls, a novelette by one of my erotica-writing heroes, Alison Tyler,
- Shameless Behavior, an anthology of erotic stories on overcoming shame from Go Deeper Press,
- Ask No Questions, a novella by Justine Elyot, whose shorts I’ve read so far are sexy as hell,
- And of course, all 69 stories in my author’s copy of The Big Book of Orgasms: 69 Sexy Stories, since that will arrive in the mail any day now (*squeals!*).
This is just the short list of a bigger list that is actually an entire bookcase, but you get the picture.
On that note, time to hunker down and tackle more smut—be it my writing or reading someone else’s.
Till next time…
The Big Book of Orgasms comes out tomorrow—and have I got some exciting news for you!
First off, The Big Book of Orgasms: 69 Sexy Stories got an incredible review from Publishers Weekly. This is tremendous news for a delightful book of shorts edited by Rachel Kramer Bussel and coming out from Cleis Press October 1st. If you’d like to check out the review, you can do so here.
But wait—there’s more! On November 6th, Good Vibrations on Polk Street in San Francisco will be hosting a reading with Rachel Kramer Bussel and nine other contributors to The Big Book of Orgasms—and I’ll be one of them! I am very much looking forward to sharing my story live, so I hope you can come too (eh-hm…pun intended). Event details and a list of participants can be found on the Facebook Event Page.
This will be one smokin’ evening for sure, so you won’t want to miss out.
And speaking of not missing out—I have one final piece of delicious news. In honor of the book’s release, Rachel Kramer Bussel is offering you a TWO FOR ONE special on Cleis erotica if you buy a copy of The Big Book of Orgasms on Amazon. The anthology must be purchased from 12:00 a.m. EST October 1st to 11:59 p.m. EST October 2nd, and all you have to do is forward on a copy of your receipt. Oh, and about that freebie—it’s signed by the legendary Rachel Kramer Bussel!
Remember, this hot deal is only on for two days. Want to know more? You can read all about it right here.
I am thrilled to be a part of this book, and I can’t wait to read every story by my fellow contributors when my author copy arrives. Based on all the excerpts I’ve seen so far, this book is sultry! Make sure to pick up your copy, and I hope to see you at the reading on November 6th!
Hello, welcome, and thanks for joining! I’m so pleased to officially kick off this site, and even more so with exciting news!
In just a few weeks, Cleis Press will release The Big Book of Orgasms: 69 Sexy Stories. This steamy anthology is edited by the wonderful Rachel Kramer Bussel, and I’m ecstatic to be a part of it!
The book is available for pre-order at Amazon and Barnes and Noble, as well as a few other sites (see below). You can find out more about it on The Big Book of Orgasms WordPress Page and The Big Book of Orgasms Tumblr page. Both of these sites include a full table of contents, author bios, Ms. Bussel’s sexy introduction, and excerpts!
In the meantime, here’s a sneak peek at my story, “The Flogger”:
Katie had bought the damn flogger thirteen years ago, in the final throes of a souring relationship. She’d thought she’d have plenty of opportunities to use the suede leather contraption. Instead, the thing had ended up in the closet, only used as a dust collector.
Then she met Julian. He was as proper as they came. His suit jackets were always pressed and his ties neatly tucked; he got his hair cut every three weeks; he meticulously folded his papers after he read them. Brilliant, handsome and patient, he never faulted her for her ways. Instead he picked up after her and the chaos that was her collection of art supplies, her endless piles of clothes and even her oft-wild hair—which is why she froze when she found him standing in their living room, holding the flogger perpendicular to his hips, as if measuring it against his semi-erect, naked penis.
“You never told me about this.” Julian waved the flogger around, and it almost looked as if his shaft hardened.
She had to be imagining this.
“I did…once.” It was five years ago, when they’d just started telling each other their fantasies—long before they’d moved in together. She’d hidden it in the back of the closet since she’d never imagined it as Julian’s sort of thing.
His brow furrowed as he swung it, the tassels tapping his thighs.
“Hmm,” he said, reasoning. “Well, I suppose you should come here. And take off your clothes.”
One thing’s for certain—this entire anthology is sure to be hot, hot, hot! Don’t forget to pre-order your copy of The Big Book of Orgasms: 69 Sexy Stories, and stay close for more exciting news very soon…